Shampoo Controversy

It's just a short one today, and a little different than usual... I'm verging on controversy! ;)

I came across an article a couple of days ago via Facebook from the Independent (and yes, I was procrastinating from revision... ).
The article opens the question of whether or not we really NEED to wash our hair... now before any of you get grossed out and close the window, just think, what did our ancestors used to do before the invention of shampoo?
You can read the article, along with what I consider to be rather valid points, here.

We spend many of our precious pennies each year on hair products, especially if you're really into haircare of have particularly unmanageable hair, when we may not really need to. One of the things that this article has taught me is that most shampoos drain your hair of sebum (the natural matter that keeps hair and skin supple), which is why we then use conditioner to try and mimic it's effect. I have to admit that I am terrible - I know about the benefits of using natural remedies compared to the chemical-ridden products which many commercial beauty brands encourage us to lather onto our manes, and yet quite often I'll hop on the bandwagon barely having read the ingredients! Now I know a lot of you will argue that the writer of this article is older with short hair, but if you research the science of hair more closely you may realise her theory makes sense. For some of you, using fewer products on your hair or swapping to a gentler alternative may actually do wonders for managing your hair.

Personally, I don't think I could ever stop washing my hair all together, even if the grease does disappear within 10 days! Although having said that, this article certainly has opened my eyes to the science of hair. I'm definitely going to make a few changes such investing in a good bristle brush, which will get rid of bits of dirt that may be lurking in your hair, while spreading a healthy amount of sebum through my locks to keep it looking hydrated :)

What do you guys think: does the article make some valid points, or is it a load of twaddle?

Emily x

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.