I Got Acrylics!

So I'm not really a 'getting your nails done' kind of girl... don't get me wrong, I love going to the salon to get my waxes and I've always loved the idea. But in reality I nibble my nails when I get stressed and often go a couple of weeks before I take off my polish. Gross, I know. In short, although I want to have nice nails I'm a bit rubbish at it. Lucky for me I have a very lovely boyfriend who decided to pay for a surprise salon treatment for me on Friday!

Originally he had me booked in for gelish nails, but since they gave me the choice and I really wanted the extensions (which would have been a little more expensive with the gel) I went for acrylics.

I had researched into them a little in the past and so I knew that the filing and buffing that they do to your nail can weaken it. But this being my first experience with any kind of false nail, I was intrigued all the same. The entire process took a good hour, and I've had them on for nearly a day now, so I thought that I'd share with you some first impressions.

Difficulties so far include locking my phone, finger-food and texting. These are all down to the length of the nail, and I think that if I'd have had a little more filed off then this wouldn't prove to be such a problem.. I'm used to having my nails pretty short! Picking up change is also tricky, partly because of the thickness of the nail extension along with the acryllic. The two factors mixed together mean that the underside of the nail can get a little mucky, so be sure to wash your hand thoroughly!

This is not long after I washed my hands... bits of fluff are accumulating already!

But... they're so pretty! I love having long nails, and these should last a good two weeks and if I take care of them, then even longer. I can also paint over them in any of my favourite colours that I have at home and then remove them again with an acetone-free polish remover. And have I mentioned how pretty they are?!

A couple of other points so consider before trying these out is that due to their porous nature any polishes you do put on them will slightly tinge the acrylic so if you do like switching your colours up a lot then it may not be the best option for you. They also take quite a while to get off (usually done by working the layers of acrylic off with acetone). If either of those points put you off then you may be better off trying out gel nails, which I hear are also better for your nails in general.

I know that a lot of you may know a lot more than me about acrylics so I won't patronise you, but if you do have any questions then please feel free to ask. Would I have them done again? Not before I try gel nails, and if I do then not too regularly.

Let me know what you guys think of acrylics!
I hope that you have all had a wonderful weekend :)

Emily x

Posted in . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.